Do you want to move to another state, but the time is not on your side? Moving in less than 2 weeks may seem intimidating and impossible, don’t worry because there is a solution for that too. Long-distance relocation takes time, money, and energy, that is why you need to organize a move from Florida to New Jersey and to plan every step in advance. Be prepared and realize that you have only 10 days before moving to finish everything. 10 days may be enough if you have the right guide to follow.
Florida and New Jersey and completely different, starting from the weather to economy, lifestyle, and costs of living. It will be a big change for you and your family if you are moving together. First of all, you need to know how to avoid moving mistakes because they are often when moving in short notice. After that, start preparing and organizing, and also, find out what to expect after moving to NJ.
Organize a move from Florida to New Jersey in no time
Yes, when having long-distance moves in Florida, it takes time, and yes, that is a “thing” you don’t have right now. This is why you will need some tips and tricks to help you move with ease and fast too. The key is not to panic and to save your sanity. This guide is like a moving checklist to follow before your moving day, so don’t waste time and start immediately. You only have about a week.
Day 1 and day 2
Get prepared! Here are some tasks you should do first when you need to organize a move from Florida to New Jersey in 10 days.
- Buy packing material such as moving boxes and wrapping material. You won’t have time to look for free moving boxes, buying will take you less time. Things to buy are moving boxes, air bubble foil, packing paper, a strong tape, moving blankets, plastic wrap, markers, trash, and Ziploc bag.
- Make travel arrangements from Florida to New Jersey and also arrange a place to stay while you are looking for an apartment after moving. You can stay in a hotel or a family member’s house or with a friend for a couple of days.
- Consider renting a storage unit in NJ to put all your items while you are staying in a hotel. Have storage when you get there to simplify the process and keep your household items in a safe place.
- Research last-minute moving companies to help you organize a move from Florida to New Jersey and to transport your items. Also, review their moving insurance and if needed consider buying moving insurance.
- Call utility companies to transfer your utilities. You can do it online or by phone.
- Ask for help (friends and family), because you won’t be able to do everything by yourself in less than 10 days, especially if you have young kids.
- Decide what items to move to NJ and what should stay in FL. Take notes for each room but don’t think too much because you will lose time.
- Pack items you won’t need before moving, usually these are items from your basement and garage. All the items you don’t use regularly should be packed now.
All the focus should be on packing between the 5th and 8th day because packing is a task that will take you most of the time when moving. Especially when you need to pack them for a long-distance relocation. This means that your items should be more protected because they will travel more than 1000 miles. There is an option to hire professional packers and they will pack items faster than you will.
Don’t pack all your items, pack only the most important things, and save time. After all, you won’t need that many summer clothing because the weather in NJ is changeable. Also, this way you will save money too when moving. Keep in mind that your new apartment will be maybe smaller, so your items won’t fit into a new place. Pack less when moving into a smaller home.
In the end, it is time to finalize. Pack an essential moving box, clean your home in Florida, confirm your utilities are canceled, prepare for the movers, etc. Pack snacks, water for the trip and be mentally prepared to start a new life far away from Florida.
Things to know about NJ before moving there
Besides packing and moving, you should research NJ before you move there. Learn all you need to know about settling down here and also choose a place in NJ where to move – it has beautiful cities. One for the biggest change for you may be the weather because winters are cold and snowy. Summers are hot and humid. But, now it is the best time to experience all 4 seasons and winter sports.
The Garden State is the most population-dense state in the USA and finding your dream job here, may not be the easiest task to do. The unemployment rate is 4.6% which is a little bit higher than the national average. You should not have a problem finding a job is health care, operations, physical therapy, and nursing and the minimum wage is $8.6 per hour.
To organize a move from Florida to New Jersey in less than 10 days you probably won’t have time to look for a new home. But, this is a task you must do after moving there. The median home value is $318,500 and the average rent is $2,000 per month. Property taxes are not cheap and that is why it is hard to buy a house here in NJ, which is completely different from housing in Florida.